There's a new job in the gig economy.
It's perfect for people who love to read, who love the challenge of capturing ideas on the page, and who feel they can inspire writers to do their best work.
It's called book coaching – and we're going to teach you everything you need to know to learn how to do it and build a book-coaching business.
Jennie Nash – book coach, founder and chief creative officer of Author Accelerator
Book Coach Basic Training
Book Coach Basic Training introduces you to the fundamental principles of book coaching. In this course, you’ll learn:
- The history of book coaching and why now is a great time to get in the game
- The key skills you need to be an effective book coach
- The 7 essential questions to ask in every coaching interaction
- The 3 must-read books for every book coach
- How to evaluate a new client’s goals and objectives, their fledgling book idea, and their sample pages
- How to give feedback in a way that nurtures a client's work
- How to deal with doubt – the writer's doubt and your own
- How to handle problems you might encounter during the client intake process
- Interview with special guest Michael Bungay Stanier, author of The Coaching Habit and master coaching trainer
Includes 22 lessons; sample client Q&As, emails, and story ideas so you can practice your skills; and more than 2 hours of video instruction from Author Accelerator founder, Jennie Nash.
Once you complete the Book Coach Basic Training course, join Jennie Nash in a live Q&A to ask her anything about the coursework, the work of book coaching, or the certification program.
Book Coach Basic Training is a prerequisite for the certification program.
Book Coach Basic Training Curriculum
Your completion of the Basic Training course allows you to begin working toward Author Accelerator Book Coach Certification. Scroll down to learn more about this path.
The Path to Certification
Jennie Nash – book coach, founder and chief creative officer of Author Accelerator
Prerequisite: Satisfactory completion of Book Coach Basic Training and application.
LAUNCH DATE : Fall 2018
Price: $2249 introductory rate
Go deeper into all the elements of book coaching, from managing a project to developing story structure to understanding the primary paths to publication. Learn step-by-step how to coach a story from zero and how to analyze a complete rough draft. Gain experience with live clients, participate in small mentoring groups, and get feedback on your coaching so you feel confident about your skills.
Guiding a Project Forward from Zero
Developing the Story Structure
The Big 5 Story Editing Skills
Designing a Project Framework
Handling the Writer's Emotions – and Yours
When Things Go Wrong in the Coaching Process
Understanding the Publishing Landscape
Full Manuscript Evaluation
Expert interviews with a psychotherapist, a book marketer, a writer's block guru, and more
Practicum: Engage your own clients, get feedback on your work from an Author Accelerator book coach, and participate in mentoring calls with Author Accelerator coaches and 6-figure book coach Jennie Nash.
Completion of this course will allow you to move on to the Pro Book Coach Certification Course and use the Advanced Certification logo on your website. Your Advanced Certification is good for two years – you must renew it and pay a renewal fee to retain certification.
Note: This course is focused on fiction only. To learn to coach memoir, you will need to complete the Memoir master class (see below). The Advanced Book Coach Certification Course for nonfiction will be coming in late 2019.
Pro Book Coach Certification in Fiction
Prerequisite: Satisfactory completion of Book Coach Basic Training and Advanced Book Coach Certification in Fiction
LAUNCH DATE : Spring 2019
Price: $2249 introductory rate
Get pro-level training on coaching full manuscript revisions, developing an agent pitch strategy, curating an agent pitch list, and editing pitch materials. Learn specialized skills such as conducting a Rejection Audit and the Basics of Self-Publishing. Learn the steps you need to take to open and run your own successful book-coaching business, including tips on contracts, payment processing, and marketing.
Coaching a Full Manuscript Revision
Coaching the Agent Pitch
The Nuts and Bolts of Launching a Book-Coaching Business
Expert interviews with agents, book production vendors, and other entrepreneurs
Practicum: Engage your own clients, get feedback on your work from professional book coaches, and participate in mentoring calls with Author Accelerator book coaches and 6-figure book coach Jennie Nash.
15 Master Class credits (see below)
Completion of this course will allow you to use the Author Accelerator Pro Book Coach Certification logo on your website. Your Pro Certification is good for two years – you must renew it and pay a renewal fee to retain certification.
Pro-Certified coaches will be featured in an online database of Author Accelerator Certified Book Coaches.
Note: This course is focused on fiction only. To learn to coach memoir, you will need to add on the Memoir master class (see below). The Pro Book Coach Certification Course for nonfiction will be coming in late 2019.
Author Accelerator Master Classes
LAUNCH DATES: 2019
These master classes will give you credit toward your certification and can help you narrow the focus of your book coaching business.
Coaching the Romance Writer: 5 credits – $199
Coaching the Young-Adult Writer: 5 credits – $199
Coaching the Middle-Grade Writer: 5 credits – $199
Writing Through Trauma: 10 credits – $299
The Basics of Self-Publishing: 15 credits – $699
Memoir: 15 credits – $699
Other courses to be added.
Nonfiction certification track coming in 2019.
What Our Students Have To Say
Your Book Coach Certification Instructors:
Jennie Nash is the founder and chief creative officer of Author Accelerator, a program that brings professional book coaching to writers in all genres. She is a private book coach whose authors regularly land top New York agents and book deals with publishers including Scribner, Simon & Schuster, Hazeldon, Norton and Random House. Several of her writers have also recently won national self-publishing awards. For the last six years, Jennie has made six figures in her private book-coaching business.
Jennie is the author of four novels, three memoirs, and counting. These are some of her books:
Laura Franzini has trained under Author Accelerator Chief Creative Officer Jennie Nash for 4 years, working with writers to bring their stories alive on the page and their books on the shelf. She currently oversees Author Accelerator’s stellar team of book coaches, matching them with their writers and cultivating each coaching relationship. She has a background in journalism and marketing communications.
Frequently Asked Questions
+ Does this course cover nonfiction as well?
The Basic Book Coaching course covers foundational elements of book coaching that can be applied to working with writers in any genre. We call it a course for "fiction" because there are two or three lessons where we use fiction examples, and in a proper nonfiction course, those samples would be nonfiction. Until we have the nonfiction course completed (late 2019), you are welcome to take this introductory course -- as long as you understand the bias it takes towards fiction.
And all that being said, Jennie's strong belief is that story is story is story. Every book is a narrative -- even if it's a self-help or a how-to book. Understanding the elements of fictional design will help make you a better coach, even if you are primarily coaching non-fiction.
+ Is there a refund?
Book Coach Basic Training
Due to the nature of this self-paced course, there is a three-day money-back guarantee. After this three-day period, no refunds will be given.
Author Accelerator Book Coach Certification Program
We offer a 14-day refund policy on our Advanced and Pro Certification courses. You may request a refund up to 14 days after you begin the course.
To be eligible for a refund, you must submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your completed work for the first two modules before your 14th day in the course.
We will also check to see that you have watched the available course videos.
No refunds will be provided after 14 days following your start of the course. All refunds are discretionary, and eligibility is determined only after all requested items are submitted to our support team.
If you opted for a payment plan (when applicable) and you do not request a refund by the end of the 14th day, you are required to complete the remaining payments of your payment plan according to our one-payment-per-month schedule.
Deciding after you purchase that you can't afford payments, or deem the program too intense, or just don't want to do the course anymore does NOT qualify you for a refund. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make sure you are 100% ready to take our courses.
This refund policy is designed to give you 14 days to try our system, get acquainted, and learn. If you do the work, put in your best effort, and feel that we haven’t delivered on our promise, we will issue a refund.
We ask for the above evidence as we only want students who are willing to be present in the course and actually do the work. We are giving our 100% effort to provide the best and most effective learning environment possible, and want our students to have the same high standard. You owe it to yourself to give it your best shot!
+ Is there anything I need to do prior to starting the Basic Training course?
No. If you are interested in getting a head start, the books you'll need to read for this training are:
Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull
The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp
The Coaching Habit by Michael Bungay Stanier
However, you do not have to read them all before you start! They are equally effective if you read them during the course or when you are finished with the course.
These books are not provided as part of the course, so you may check them out from the library, borrow, or purchase them.
+ When is the Q&A call with Jennie Nash?
Jennie will host a 90-minute Q&A call with all students in the Book Coach Basic Training course. Details about the date and time of the call and how to join will be included in the course materials. If you can't make it at the scheduled time, all of our live sessions are recorded and uploaded to the online learning site within 24-48 hours.
Continuing Education calls will be scheduled when the certification program launches.
+ How long will it take me to complete Book Coach Basic Training?
There are 22 lessons in Book Coach Basic Training and each lesson is designed to take somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 to 60 minutes. If you end up going out to the internet to check out authors, websites, or books we mention, it could take quite a lot more time – and we hope that it occasionally does, because curiosity makes for good coaching. You will also need to set aside time to read three assigned books.
We estimate that it will take between 5 and 6 weeks for you to complete the Book Coach Basic Training course. Enroll in Book Coach Basic Training Training now.
+ What will I learn during Book Coach Basic Training?
What Book Coach Basic Training will allow you to do:
• Understand why book coaching has bubbled up in the new gig economy
• Learn what book coaches do that is different from what editors or critique partners do
• Learn what skills you bring to the work that will be additive
• Learn which parts of the coaching process make you nervous and how to overcome your doubt
• Understand what to look for when evaluating a writer
• Understand what to look for when evaluating a book project
• Begin to develop a sense of what kind of writers you would most like to work with
• Learn principles of the creative process that help you understand how to nurture a writer and guide a project
• Learn how to ask good questions
• Learn how to get out of the advice-giving game
• Apply to participate in the Author Accelerator Certification Program
What this course will NOT teach:
• This is not an editing class, although you will learn many things about editing in it.
• This is not a publishing class, although you will learn many things about the publishing landscape.
• This is not a course in how to land an agent and we will not be teaching pitch strategy or pitching skills. How to guide writers to land an agent is a specialized coaching skill that we will teach in a separate master class (coming 2019).
• You will not learn how to run your own coaching business. This is a specialized skill that we will teach in a separate master class (coming 2019).
• We cannot guarantee that you will get any coaching clients. We are teaching you a marketable skill, but we offer no guarantees.
• We will not give you coaching clients. Author Accelerator only works with coaches whom we hire in a process that is separate from this course.
• We cannot guarantee that you will make a certain level of income from book coaching. While Jennie Nash makes a 6-figure income as a book coach,you actually have to apply yourself if you want to grow your business. Our goal is to help you cut down the learning curve in order to position yourself right, build effective programs, and attract the right customers to grow your business.
+ What is the certification process?
The certification program involves three courses:
• Book Coach Basic Training, which includes curriculum in four areas of book coaching and is a prerequisite for the Advanced Book Coach Certification. Your acceptance to the Advanced Book Coach Certification depends upon your satisfactory completion of Book Coach Basic Training, your commitment to pay the full course fee, and your ability to complete the requirements.
• Advanced Book Coach Certification, which includes curriculum in nine areas of book coaching and a practicum to grow your skills. The practicum includes feedback on your work from Author Accelerator. This course is a prerequisite for the second certification course. Your acceptance to the Pro Book Coach Certification depends upon your satisfactory completion of the Advanced Book Coach Certification course, your commitment to pay the full course fee, and your ability to complete the requirements.
• Pro Book Coach Certification, which includes curriculum in three areas of book coaching, a practicum to grow your skills, and Master Classes to expand your knowledge. The practicum includes feedback on your work from Author Accelerator.
• Additional Master Classes are optional and available a la carte.
+ How long does it take to get certified?
It depends. Since the course is new, we are not sure what the average length of completion will be, but we believe that 6-9 months is a good estimate.
+ Will completing the program help me get a job at Author Accelerator?
We will welcome certified coaches to apply to work at Author Accelerator, and will be looking to graduates to fill roles as appropriate. That being said, there is no guarantee that completing our certification program will lead to a job with us.
+ Will you help me find book coaching clients?
We cannot guarantee that you will get any coaching clients. We are teaching you a marketable skill, but we offer no guarantees. We also will not give you coaching clients. Author Accelerator only works with coaches whom we hire in a process that is separate from this course.
+ When will the other Certification courses become available?
The first module – Book Coach Basic Training for fiction – is ready now and the remaining modules in the certification program are in development. These will be rolled out over the rest of 2018, with additional modules and master classes coming in 2019.
+ What kind of technical support do you offer?
We'll be honest. We are not technical support experts. As a result, we are able to provide minimal technical support to resolve any issues you might have accessing our courses and our materials. Beyond the areas covered below, we are unable to help you troubleshoot your specific issue. If you are having problems that extend beyond those covered below, we encourage you to contact support for the specific program or device you are using.
General Browser Issues
• Make sure you are using the most up-to-date version of your preferred browser. Click here to learn how.
• Clear your browser's history. Click here to learn how.
• Clear your browser's cache. Click here to learn how.
• Close all the applications on your computer and restart your computer.
Problems Opening Files
• How to resolve the problem "Word experienced an error trying to open the file" when opening a Word 2007/2010 file
• Fix 'The file cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents'
• Troubleshoot problems opening PDFs
How to Unzip Files
Support for the Programs We Often Use