This episode is pure book-coaching MAGIC, people! It's more than a brainstorming session. It's brainstorming with a higher purpose. It's brainstorming on crack. It's just, it's just... Argh! Jennie is so good!
In this episode
We break down the question WHY NOW?
- When asking yourself where in your story to start your book, you must determine why now. Why does now matter?
- Why does your book start at the moment it does? Not before, not after. Why now?
- Abby looks at the why now question in terms of her middle grades novel, and why the age of the main character directly affects its answer.
- Then you need to marry the what happens to the why it matters.
- And if you can base all that on what you really want to write about-- that's what makes a story work.