In this episode
Lori Richmond, author/illustrator of Pax and Blue and Bunny's Staycation talks about:
- her process for writing and illustrating picture books
- children are a treasure trove of ideas
- her transition from a 20-year corporate job to being self-employed
- one word- BABYSITTER
- interruptions cause stress and resentment, which is not fair to the kids and leads to poor quality work
- separating family life and work life is better for her creative process and her sanity
- BUT involve the kids when possible
- take a walk- shift your perspective from it being "wasted time" to "wandering time"
Some non-writing, but super fun subjects that we talk about:
- the pros and cons of Amazon's Alexa! (Abby is pro, Lori is con!)
- Lori's Instagram project
- how she connected running and art, her parallels between running and creating
Lori's Recommended Reading:
A Hop is Up and Oopsie Do are illustrated by Lori Richmond.